Sonnet
I am posting a sonnet that was written by William Shakespeare. It is titled LXIII
LXIII
Against my love shall be as I am now,
With Time's injurious hand crush'd and o'erworn;
When hours have drain'd his blood and fill'd his brow
With lines and wrinkles; when his youthful morn
Hath travell'd on to age's steepy night;
And all those beauties whereof now he's king
Are vanishing, or vanished out of sight,
Stealing away the treasure of his spring;
For such a time do I now fortify
Against confounding age's cruel knife,
That he shall never cut from memory
My sweet love's beauty, though my lover's life:
His beauty shall in these black lines be seen,
And they shall live, and he in them still green.
-William Shakespeare
I chose this particular sonnet because it ties in with the poems that i wrote in my blogs about the deaths of my aunt and my grandmother this year and it touched me in a particular way because of that. In this sonnet, Shakespeare is describing his lover that he had who was once a very beautiful man, however with time his looks withered away and died. I especially was touched by the lines "For such a time do I now fortify, Against confounding age's cruel knife" showing that shakespeare is really struggling with the loss of his lover. The final two lines were extremely powerfull as wel stating "His beauty shall in these black lines be seen, And they shall live, and he in them still green." This shows that throughout Shakespeare's wrtings and hopefully mine as well along with anyone who every wrote something about the people that they lost and truly loved, those people would not be forgotten and forever remain alive and green meaning full of live and not dead and black like the darnkess of death.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home